Client login

Visas, Residency, Work & Travel in Portugal for UK Nationals Post Brexit

Visas, Residency, Work & Travel in Portugal for UK Nationals Post Brexit

With the transition period rapidly approaching, UK nationals who wish to live and work in Portugal after 31 December 2020 may wish to consider applying for residency.

If you are resident in Portugal at the end of the transition period, you will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement and your rights will be protected for as long as you remain resident in Portugal.

If you are considering moving to Portugal on or after 1 January 2021 and you are not covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, the rules depend on negotiations with the EU and may change. From 1 January 2021, you will be able to travel to Portugal for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa for purposes such as tourism. This is a rolling 180-day period. To stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel, you will need to meet Portugal's entry requirements. This could mean applying for a visa or work permit. You may also need to get a visa if your visit would take you over the 90 days in 180 days limit.


If you are resident in Portugal before the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020, you will be able to stay.

You must register as a resident in Portugal if you want to stay for more than 3 months. To get a Registration Certificate (Certificado de Registo), go to your local Town Hall (Câmara Municipal). You will need:

  • proof of address
  • a valid passport
  • proof of earnings or evidence of sufficient means to support yourself and your family
  • proof of enrolment in a Portuguese school or university, if you are a student

The certificate costs €15 for an adult and €7.50 for a child. This certificate is normally valid for 5 years. After 5 years’ residency in Portugal, you can apply for a Permanent Residency Certificate (Autorização de Residência Permanente) also known as a residency card. You must apply before your Registration Certificate expires.

You can apply directly with SEF (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras, the Borders and Immigration Agency) at any of their offices. You need to book an appointment by calling SEF:

  • from a landline: 808 202 653
  • from a mobile: 808 962 690

You will need:

  • registration certificate (Certificado de Registo)
  • a valid passport
  • two passport photographs
  • if you have changed your address, proof of your new address

You can use your Permanent Residency Certificate as proof of ID in Portugal but you cannot use it as a travel document. The Permanent Residency Certificate is valid for 10 years. You will need to renew it every 10 years at a SEF office.

Visit the SEF website for English-language guidance on how to register and apply for residency .

Move to Portugal & Pay Low or No TaxDid you know that if you are applying (or have recently applied) for residency in Portugal you can pay low or no tax on your income? Download guide

About Professional Investment Consultants (Europe) S.A in Portugal

"For 30 years, PIC Europe S.A. has specialised in providing wealth management, wealth protection and independent financial planning advice to expatriates and people who lead international lives. As PIC Europe's representative in Portugal, Mark Ellis is well placed to help private individuals, companies and organisations with the complexities of international finance. Please contact Mark on +351 282 969 288 or email Please also visit, like and follow PIC's new Facebook page for Portugal:"


Please note that information contained in this document is provided as a guide only and the contents should not be relied upon as being accurate or applicable to your circumstances;. You should visit for current UK government advice on living in Portugal but definitive information on the subject should be obtained from the Portuguese authorities. PIC Europe S.A. cannot be held liable for any inaccuracies in information contained in this document.